Wednesday, October 31, 2018

NFTNIF Volume 3 Episode 9 "Winter is Coming"

Yesterday when the work was done, and cold was settling in like a chilly mantle, I overdressed, then lay me down in a clear spot and watched the sky.  Day became sunset, with all the colors raised to glory, sunset became twilight, fire colors replaced by cool tones with the sky moving through every blue to indigo and finally the sacred black of night.  The light was not gone - it simply shivered into a billion billion shards, specks, dabs and brilliant dust as the stars took over the show.  I saw 8 shooting stars, and didn't even make wishes on all of them.  That means I have a couple wishes in hand.  I will guard my tongue carefully now.

My hearing has become preternaturally acute, and I have learned the normal sounds of the night.  I can associate a horses whicker with the right horse, the engine with the vehicle, the walk with the person, the demolition charges all night with falling acorns (of unusual size).  I hear the whispering pad of the feral dogs as they ghost by, the scamper of the ground squirrels, and if I lean my ear against something, the trundling of my own heartbeat.  I know the sound of each gate, and a lot of the dogs.  I recognize the snuffle of our hosts dog (vs. some other creature!) scouting our tent at dawn, and the plaintive mew of one of their cats after nightfall.  All the pets seem to love us and seek our camp at every opportunity (not entirely to the pleasure of our gracious hosts).

Fall is putting on all of her finery, and the sight of a carpet of blazing Autumnal leaves is splendid; but then you see the green and brown giants, standing as high above the trees as they stand above bushes, and the Redwoods nod indulgently at the gaudy spectacle, unmoved by the rapid flicker of the seasons.  A century old redwood is still a baby, and up and up they stretch, down and down they dig.  To think that when the white man first came to these parts there were trees large enough to cut roads through; and even these huge specimens seem like adolescents.

I'm told that one of the oldest  trees in the world (the oldest?) used to live in Mendocino county, but that a tweaker holed up in the trunk and set the whole thing ablaze smoking meth.  A pretty commentary on our custodianship of Nature's masterpieces (including each other).

Happy Halloween!  That's about it for our celebration, there is too much to do for costumes etc.
OK I have to ask.  Did everyone but me know that it snows up here?  I honestly thought it wouldn't get or stay that cold.  Winter is coming indeed!  Let's be honest, we are not Esquimeaux; I've got to find some shelter before the rains, much less the snows.  That trailer sold yesterday.

I speak well of our EarthMissioners, we are easy to work with and hard working, drama-free and helpful  in many ways.  We are making a place for ourselves in the community, each in his own fashion.

OK friends, on Behalf of the Men of EarthMission, VOTE!

Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment